Rahul Gandhi Chosen as Congress’ Prime Ministerial Candidate for 2024 Elections

In a significant announcement, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot declared that Rahul Gandhi will be the prime ministerial candidate for the Congress party in the upcoming 2024 Lok Sabha elections. Gehlot emphasized that this decision was reached collectively by all 26 opposition parties within the INDIA alliance after thorough deliberations and discussions.

Consensus Among Opposition Parties

The decision to nominate Rahul Gandhi as the prime ministerial candidate reflects the consensus reached among various opposition parties. Gehlot informed India Today that while local factors play a role in each election, the current national scenario has generated “immense pressure” on all alliance members.

“Prime Minister Narendra Modi should not be arrogant since in 2014, BJP came to power with only 31 per cent votes. The remaining 69 per cent votes were against him,” Gehlot stated.

Challenges and Anticipation

Gehlot highlighted that the INDIA opposition alliance’s meeting held in Bengaluru in July had created unease within the ruling National Democratic Alliance (NDA). He dismissed claims suggesting that the NDA aimed to secure power with 50 per cent of the votes in the 2024 Lok Sabha elections, asserting that such a goal is unattainable.

“Even at the peak of his popularity, Modi couldn’t secure 50 per cent of the votes. The outcome of the 2024 elections will determine the next Prime Minister,” Gehlot predicted.

Congress’ Role in Previous Elections

Ashok Gehlot also pointed out that it was the Congress party that inadvertently facilitated PM Modi’s ascent to power in 2014. Criticizing the Prime Minister’s communication style, Gehlot emphasized the uncertainty of making predictions about the future in a democracy.

“The decision should rest with the people, and their choice deserves respect. While PM Modi made numerous promises, the public is well aware of their outcomes,” Gehlot remarked.

Contributions to Space Achievements

Shifting the focus, Gehlot attributed the success of Chandrayaan-3, India’s lunar mission, to the legacies of former Prime Ministers Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi. He acknowledged the significant role played by Nehru in establishing the foundation of India’s space exploration endeavors.

“Nehru’s contributions are integral to Chandrayaan-3’s triumphs. The current achievements owe their roots to the enduring efforts of Indira Gandhi and Nehru,” Gehlot praised.

Gehlot elaborated that the establishment of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) was realized following a suggestion by scientist Vikram Sarabhai, which was heeded by former PM Nehru. He highlighted the historical shift in the Space Centre’s nomenclature from its original name to ISRO during Indira Gandhi’s tenure.


The nomination of Rahul Gandhi as the prime ministerial candidate by the INDIA opposition alliance sets the stage for a competitive and closely watched 2024 Lok Sabha elections. Gehlot’s insights shed light on the intricate dynamics of Indian politics, emphasizing the significance of public sentiment and historical legacies in shaping the country’s leadership.


India Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!